Experiencing a bus accident can lead to physical injuries, psychological trauma, and emotional distress. The journey to recovery is often lengthy and challenging. Coping with the aftermath of such an incident becomes even more difficult due to financial strain, leaving victims and their families overwhelmed by emotional stress.
In 2022, California saw 138 fatal bus accidents resulting in 176 deaths. Among these, school buses were involved in 131 incidents, while transit buses were involved in 7. These accidents were primarily caused by driver mistakes, mechanical malfunctions, and distracted driving. The injuries resulting from these accidents commonly include head, spinal cord, and internal injuries. Notably, the average cost of a bus accident claim in California stands at around $1 million.
If you or someone you know has been a victim of a bus accident, it’s crucial to be aware of your legal rights and potential compensation. This article aims to provide guidance on navigating the process of pursuing compensation after a bus accident.
Steps to take after you experience a bus accident
Facing injuries from a bus accident can be a complex and challenging experience, both physically and emotionally. Navigating the legal system can be intricate, involving various rules, deadlines, and paperwork. Here are some steps you should take to make the experience little less challenging:
- Assess the situation and your injuries. If you are able, move to a safe location away from the accident scene. If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately.
- Call the police and file a report. The police report will document the accident and can be used as evidence in any legal proceedings.
- Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. This includes their name, address, insurance information, and contact information.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. This can help to document the damage to vehicles and property.
- Get witness statements. If there are any witnesses to the accident, get their contact information so that you can reach out to them later.
Statute of limitations for bus accident injury
The statute of limitations is a legal regulation that establishes a specific timeframe within which you’re allowed to initiate a lawsuit following an injury or specific incident. Failing to adhere to this time limit could result in being unable to file a lawsuit. In California, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is set at two years. Essentially, this means you have a two-year window from the date of the accident to file your lawsuit. While there are limited exceptions to this rule, they tend to be quite narrow in scope.
Factors affecting bus accident claims
The liability of the bus company is also an important factor in determining the amount of compensation you can receive. If the bus company was negligent in causing the accident, you will be able to recover compensation from them. However, if the bus company was not negligent, you may not be able to recover any compensation from them. The amount of compensation you can receive for each of these categories will vary depending on the specific circumstances of your case.
Potential amount of compensation you can get for a bus accident injury
The amount of compensation you can receive for a bus accident depends on a number of factors, including the severity of your injuries, the extent of your losses, and the liability of the bus company. In general, you can recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of hospitalization, doctor’s visits, prescription medication, and other medical treatment.
- Lost wages: If you are unable to work due to your injuries, you can recover lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: This is compensation for the physical and emotional pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of the accident.
- Property damage: If your property was damaged in the accident, you can recover the cost of repairs or replacement.
After a bus accident, swift action is crucial if you’ve sustained injuries. This involves promptly seeking medical care, preserving any pertinent evidence, and reaching out to an attorney. Legal counsel can assist in safeguarding your rights and securing the rightful compensation you’re entitled to. Do not be hesitant to get in touch with us here Personal Injury lawyer California at San Gabriel Valley Attorneys or give us a call at (626) 602-9483.