In California, pedestrian accidents are on the rise. While this uptick could be due to several factors, both drivers and pedestrians must be aware of the dangers of sharing the road. This increase in accidents is also reflected statewide – in 2015, there were 2,436 pedestrians killed or injured in traffic collisions, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety.
A recent study by the Governors Highway Safety Association found that pedestrian fatalities increased by 46 percent from 2007 to 2016. While this alarming trend is being seen in states across the country, California has been hit particularly hard. In 2016, California had the most pedestrian fatalities of any state.
What is causing this sharp increase in pedestrian accidents, and what can be done to reverse it?
There is no one answer to this question as many factors contribute to pedestrian accidents. However, some potential causes could include the following:
- Increased population density in cities and suburbs
The number of pedestrian accidents has been on the rise in California for the past five years. Some people may attribute this to the increased population density in cities and suburbs. With more people living closer together, there are more opportunities for pedestrians and drivers to contact each other.
According to recently conducted research conducted by the University of Southern California, there has been a 46% rise in accidents that include pedestrians in only the last few years. In addition to this, there has been a 25 percent rise in fatalities. Drivers are not always to blame for these accidents; pedestrians also need to be aware of their surroundings and take precautions when walking.
- More people walking and using public transportation due to high gas prices and the recession
The researchers found that when gas prices rose above $4 per gallon, the number of pedestrians killed or seriously injured in accidents increased by about 6%. They also found that people were more likely to walk to their destinations when gas prices were high, which led to an increase in accidents.
- More distracted drivers and pedestrians due to the use of cell phones and other electronic devices
The use of cell phones and other electronic devices continues to increase, resulting in more distracted drivers and pedestrians. Mobile phone conversations, texting, and electronic gadgets distract drivers. Also distracting to pedestrians are mobile phone conversations, texting, and electronic devices. Therefore, drivers and pedestrians use of mobile phones, and other electronic gadgets is a significant safety concern.
- Poor urban planning that does not take into account pedestrians’ safety
It is no secret that a well-planned city is a safe city. However, poor urban planning leads to increased pedestrian accidents in many cases. It happens when the layout of a city or neighborhood does not consider pedestrians’ safety. As a result, people are forced to walk in areas not designed for pedestrian use, leading to dangerous situations.
One notable example of this is the city of Los Angeles. The downtown area of LA is a prime example of poor urban planning. For example, the sidewalks are very narrow, and few places for pedestrians to cross the street.
What to do after a Pedestrian Accident?
After a pedestrian accident, there are several steps you should take to protect yourself and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Seek immediate medical assistance for any injuries you may have incurred in the collision. It should be your first and primary priority. You must get medical attention, even if you do not believe that you have sustained any injuries.
- After seeking medical attention, it’s essential to collect evidence from the accident scene. It includes photos of the scene, contact information for any witnesses, and the police report.
- You need to make sure that you keep track of all of the expenses associated with the accident, such as the costs of medical care.
- The next step is to contact a seasoned Pedestrian Accident Lawyer.
You must make immediate contact with a seasoned attorney if you have suffered injuries from a pedestrian accident as soon as feasible. They will be able to assist you in submitting a claim and obtaining the money that is rightfully yours.