You know how devastating they can be if you’ve been in a truck accident. Not only are they physically and emotionally traumatizing, but they can also be financially devastating. The last thing you want to worry about is how you will cover all the costs associated with the accident. This is where a truck accident settlement comes in.
A successful settlement can cover your costs and help you get back on your feet. But settlements can be complex, and knowing what you’re doing is important before you agree to anything.
This post will give you some tips for getting the most out of your truck accident settlement. We’ll discuss what to look for in a settlement offer, how to negotiate for a higher amount, and more.
What to do immediately following the truck accident?
The first and most important thing you can do after a truck accident is to seek medical attention. Some injuries, such as whiplash, can take days or even weeks to manifest. This is true even if you don’t think you’ve been seriously injured.
A delay in seeking medical attention can also be used against you by the trucking company’s insurance adjuster. They may argue that your injuries are not as serious as you claim because you didn’t seek treatment immediately.
In addition to seeking medical attention, you should also:
- Take photographs of the accident scene and your injuries
- Get the contact information for any witnesses
- Write down everything you remember about the accident
- Keep track of all of your expenses related to the accident
- Contact a truck accident lawyer
How to work with your insurance company?
Your truck accident settlement will likely involve your insurance company and the trucking company’s insurance company. It’s important to be careful when dealing with insurance companies, as they are primarily interested in their bottom line.
You should never give a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster without consulting a lawyer. And you should be careful about what you say to the adjuster, as anything you say can be used against you.
It’s also important to be aware of insurance adjusters‘ tactics. They may try to downplay the seriousness of your injuries or argue that you are partially to blame for the accident. Adjusters may also drag out the claims process to get you to settle for a lower amount.
Tips for Getting the Most Out Of Your Truck Accident Settlement
- Don’t Settle Too Quickly: It’s important to take the time to consider all aspects of your case before agreeing to any type of settlement. The trucking company’s insurance company will likely try to get you to settle quickly, but it’s important to resist this urge.
- Get Multiple Opinions: Don’t just take the opinion of your truck accident lawyer. Get multiple opinions from other lawyers, as well as from financial professionals. This will help you better understand what your case is worth and what type of settlement you should be aiming for.
- Understand Your Accident: Make sure you understand all the details of your accident and injuries. This will help you know what kinds of damages you should be asking for in your settlement.
- Know Your Rights: It’s important to understand your rights after a truck accident. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering. The trucking company’s insurance company will likely try to lowball you, so it’s important to know what you’re entitled to.
- Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer: One of the best ways to improve your chances of getting a fair settlement is to hire a truck accident lawyer. A lawyer will help you navigate the claims process, gather evidence, and negotiate with the insurance company.
- Seek Help From a Qualified Attorney: The steps outlined above are important for anyone involved in a truck accident. However, it’s important to understand that the claims process can be complex and stressful. This is particularly true if you are dealing with serious injuries. For this reason, it’s often in your best interests to seek help from a qualified truck accident lawyer. A lawyer can help you navigate the claims process, gather evidence, and negotiate with the insurance company. An experienced lawyer will also be familiar with insurance companies tactics to lowball accident victims.
Contact and Visit Us at San Gabriel Valley Personal Injury Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, it’s important to understand your rights and options. The qualified truck accident lawyers at San Gabriel Valley, Personal Injury Attorneys, can help. We offer free, no-obligation consultations so you can learn more about your case and how we can help. Contact us today at (626) 602-9483 to schedule a consultation.